Air pollution is one of the worst enemies of your skin and health. With Delhi voted as the most polluted city on Earth in the month of November-2017, one can imagine the air pollution levels in our country.
Doesn’t it feel good when you freshen up after a busy day out? But, is that sufficient enough to protect yourself from the harmful effects of the air pollution? The answer is no. Your body needs cleansing and so does your skin.
Air particles are very minute, which tend to get accumulated in your skin pores. Some particles are also inhaled while breathing, which disintegrate and lead to the formation of free radicals. These free radicals can cause complications like cardiovascular disorders, cataract, and cancer. Free radicals aren’t any good for your skin too, as these are the prime cause of the fine lines, sagging, moisture loss, collagen damage in your skin; something that you try to prevent all your life. The premature aging that is caused due to these free radicals can be prevented with right measures.
So what does cleansing mean? Washing your face and dabbing some moisturizers? Nope, that will not do all. Your body will need some deep cleansing to fight off all the negative effects of air pollution. Here are five amazing tips that will help you protect yourself from air pollution.
1. Right personal care products
Choosing the best personal care products can solve most of your pollution-related skin problems. Air pollution will make your skin look dull, dry, old and lifeless, and here are the most important products that you should have all the time with you, in order to keep those harmful effects at bay.
- Cleansing cream: While choosing the cleansing cream, make sure that it does not contain high levels of surfactants as these act harsh on your skin and are acidic too. Products like these reduce the moisture content of your skin and make your skin look less radiant. Thus, you should opt for oil- based cleansing creams that will remove the dirt particles without damaging your skin.
- Exfoliators or Face scrubs: Exfoliators help you get rid of the dry dead cells from your skin and give you a healthy and glowing look. There are a good number of gentle exfoliators available in the market that are tough on the dead cells and clogged pores, but smooth and easy on your skin.
- Moisturizers: The outermost layer of the skin, stratum corneum needs a lot of water, for the skin to be healthy and moisturizers can do that for you. Hydrated stratum corneum, acts as a protective barrier between your skin and the harmful pollutants in the environment.
- Face Masks: Face Masks have multiple benefits, from clearing the clogs, exfoliating, to rejuvenating your skin with vital nutrients and keeping it healthy for a long time. Opting for face masks made out of natural ingredients can give you great results in no time. Face masks made out of natural ingredients are also available in the market and will give you same results as the natural ingredients. Papaya face mask, Oats face mask, banana face marks etc., are some of the popular face masks that can fight against aging and make your skin look supple and glowy.
2. Facial massage for collagen production
Facial massage is said to have multiple benefits and it is also quite pampering. Facial massage works in different ways to make your skin look healthy.
- Pollution damages the collagen layer of the skin and makes your skin look old and dull. Regular massages will boost collagen production by improving the blood and lymph circulation. Improved blood circulation means your skin cells will be getting more oxygen and nutrients that are required for collagen synthesis. Improved collagen production can help you prevent fine lines, wrinkles, dullness, skin-sagging, and many other signs of aging.
- Facial massages can also help you address dryness that is caused due to pollution.
- Facial massages can have some dramatic effects on your skin, such as radiance and instant glow.
3. Drinking lots of Water
Drinking lots of water is another way you can protect yourself from the detrimental effects of pollution. As mentioned earlier, keeping your skin and body hydrated is imperative for you to be healthy. Water helps you flush out all the toxins from your body.
70% of your body is made out of the water and it is important for you to maintain this equilibrium. Stress caused by pollution can be beaten off with lots of water. This is not only good for your skin, but for your internal organs too. Balancing the ions in your body, keeping your body fluids stable, getting rid of the free radicals, and keeping your internal organs healthy are some the things that water can do for your body and skin.
4. Becoming friends with antioxidant-rich and vitamin-C- rich foods.
This one tip can do wonders for your skin. Free-radicals, something that many ladies out there are scared of, are in turn scared of antioxidants. That’s right. Antioxidants can effectively nullify the harmful effects of free-radicals and promote skin rejuvenation. Green tea is one good source of antioxidants; but, for its benefits, make sure you use honey with it and not sugar. Most of the personal care products like moisturizers and serums today, will have antioxidants in them. Proper research will help you choose the best personal care products for your skin. Vitamin C plays a significant role in collagen synthesis, which makes it important for you to include this wonder molecule in your daily diet. Online shoppers have an added benefit of availing offers on personal care.
5. Consumption of organic and unprocessed foods.
Most of the healing processes begin inside your body. Air pollution not only affects humans and animals but also plants and other microorganisms. Conventionally-grown plants will have harmful chemicals in them, which can again trigger free-radical formation in your body. Thus, you should prefer organically produced foods. Processed goods like deep-fried foods, bread, and other junk food will have preservatives in them which isn’t good for your skin or body. On the other hand, unprocessed foods are a lot safe for consumption.
Healthy eating and active lifestyle to fight against all the harmful effects caused by the pollution. And lastly, let us not forget those amazing personal care products in the market that are saving our day.